Sunday, March 22, 2009

My First Thursday Night on the Town

I had a great night! (My first “on the town” that has gone successfully). I got to talking with a Floyd-regular earlier in the day and was invited – or maybe, invited myself – to go out with her and two of her best friends. These girls spoke very basic English and I spoke very basic Italian, but it worked wonderfully. I had a ton of fun. The girls are 24 and attending the University of Parma, so they are the first ladies my age with whom I’ve connected. We made vague plans about going shopping in Parma and then out to dance! (I know how to say “I love to dance” in Italian, and I know how to mean it).

Also, in the pizzeria was a poster for Karaoke. Hurrah! So the Italians have karaoke … and I put good money on most of the popular karaoke songs being in English, so I’m set. Now I need to find some people to go with me….

Tonight, I’m going to Floyd for the evening. Apparently, it’s pretty hopping on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. (I find this hard to believe: during the weekdays, this place is a casual, slow-paced café where kids go to play). I have never been one to shy away from going out on my own (the key is just pretending you know exactly what you’re doing), but I’m a little hesitant tonight. I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m tired of looking bumbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment