Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My First Saturday on the Town

Overall, today was kind of miserable. Even before I moved to Italy, I thought I was good at rolling with things, but my ability to be flexible is being further stretched.

I went to Parma yesterday, with plans of spending the whole day exploring the city. I made it three hours and then plopped myself down at a bus stop. It wasn’t that the day was unsuccessful; in fact, I enjoyed many small successes: I didn’t get abducted, I managed the bus system all on my own, my purse didn’t get stolen, I certainly didn’t go hungry, I bought an umbrella, and I got asked out. On the flip side, I was only successful in my Italian speaking half of the time, I didn’t find any of the things I needed to buy, and I was wandering around Italy with no one to keep me company.

For a while, I would stroll down the Italian street – one-thousand-year-old churches to the left and specialty shoe stores on the right – and I would do my best not to beam at the fact that I was in Italy...a dream come true. Then, ten minutes later, I would be walking with no place to go, feeling trapped by the fact that I was unable to communicate with the swarming masses around me. I think this dichotomy sums up my experiences in Italy thus far.

At one point, I went into a chocolate-bakery for a yummy baked good and walked out with three scoops of gelato in a bun. I don’t know if this is common practice in Italy, this ice-cream-in-a-bun, or if I just really messed up my order. Well, either way I really messed up my order. It was kind of the chocolate-with-rum scoop of ice cream on top of my Parma-sucks-Sundae. It was pretty tasty, though.

Also, I found out today that Nonno needs surgery for a cancer relapse. It was a lousy day.

However, I have high hopes for my next trip to Parma. I think I'll make sure to take a friend.

2 comments:

  1. IDEA:

    To help myself learn French more quickly in Québec, I got a book that I know pretty much by heart, IN FRENCH. My personal choice was Prisoner of Azkaban. That way, you know what you're reading, but it's in French! Or Italian.

    Just an idea.

    Miss you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! It's so funny that you should mention that....

    ReplyDelete