Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Best Medicine

Today, I ate cookies for dinner. It wasn’t intentional – I am afterall, in the country renowned for its cuisine. But what with Nonno being ill and all, I brainstormed how I could help the family and the answer was obviously my mother’s cookies.

Yeah, well, have fun trying to make Mom’s cookies in metric with weird brown sugar and no measuring spoons. Needless to say, I made a mess. And, because the ingredients and portions were so weird, I had to taste the cookies at all stages to make sure I was on track. By the time the first batch came out of the oven, I had no room for real food.

On the up-side, the cookies turned out well! They’re not as good as my mom’s, but I can dream.

In response to my mother’s inevitably chiding look, I will say that I had a very solid lunch. Marco took me out to Sala Baganza’s premier restaurant, Fiori. It was very classy and undeniably Italian. The place setting had far too many utensils and beverage glasses, and the rolls were crusty enough to kill a man (if thrown with impressive force). I had a very tender steak (filetto con l’aceto balsamico) and it was wonderful.

**Follow up** The entire family loved my mom’s cookies. Score!

1 comment:

  1. Cookies? Classic. Haha, I love you Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete