Thursday, March 12, 2009

I Proffessori

As Marco’s mom said, I’m very fortunate because everyone I meet is my Italian teacher. She is absolutely correct – and her boys are the best ones I have because they also speak English (and they’re just awesome…and they make awesome café and panini). The grandparents are also wonderful because they are so patient and fun. However, I know have a real, official Italian teacher….read on….

Stefano is a 32-year-old veterinarian who will be moving to Florida in a few months to teach at the state university. His English is very impressive, but he wants to become more proficient. So, three times a week for an hour and a half, we are trading language conversation lessons. He’s approaching it very professionally, so I look forward to learning a lot of practical Italian and hope to teach him a fair bit as well.

Today was just great. I am a little embarrassed to admit it, but I’m just now really connecting with Filippo (and I think I might finally be spelling his name correctly – oops). We had a lot of fun today. He’s such a bright, good-natured little kid. It was tough for me to figure him out because in many ways, he acts much older than he is – I call him “little man.” But then he whips out a little three-year-old and I get totally thrown off! I’m figuring it out.

Also, I’m starting to understand what he’s saying to me … that helps the whole connecting-thing. My Italian has improved a ton, which is a great feeling. From day one, the grandparents told me that I would be speaking proficiently in a month, and I’m starting to believe them. And now that I have a teacher(!), I hope to surpass everyone’s expectations.

I’m settling into my life here and having a lot of fun. I think about how I miss my family and friends (and I really do miss you tons!), but I have to admit that this life beats the hell out of serving at Uno’s.

1 comment:

  1. Imagine that...what good timing! I'm so glad for you!

    ReplyDelete