Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Food

A few things about the food and habits of the Italians:

1. They eat oranges that are red on the inside. I find this confusing....

2. They drink carbonated water often with meals. It’s called “Frizzante,” which I find very appropriate.

3. Parmesan cheese from Parma is da bomb (in the words of my 90s-brethren). Just like Champagne can't legally be called such if it isn't from Champagne, France, Parmesan cheese is only cheese from Parma.

4. Frozen pizza in Italy is not good. I know its sacrilege to even think about eating frozen pizza while in Italy, but I was expecting an elevated level of quality for my sacrilegious ways. There was almost no cheese or flavor.

5. Tuna is a staple in the Italian diet – it is in ragu, on pizza, in my mouth. In cans, they store it in olive oil instead of water and it’s amazing.

6. The hot chocolate is literally hot chocolate. It’s much stickier than American hot chocolate. French hot chocolate was similar to American, except not as sweet (it’s not uncommon to add granulated sugar to it before drinking, similar to coffee). This Italian stuff was downright decadent.

7. Fresh fruit! All the time! Especially for desert – they eat fresh fruit before the sugary-dessert, such as gelato.

8. Perhaps you assumed as much, but the wine in Italy is not only fantastic, but inexpensive. I splurged the other day on a good bottle of Cabernet-Merlot…it cost 4.5 Euro.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Who can't wait to visit Lindsey?! I Can't wait to visit Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete