Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Crazy Weekend, the Saturday and Sunday Post

So you're probably wondering, hmm I wonder if Lindsey ever got back into her apartment. [You're probably also wondering How did Lindsey know my thoughts? Get out of my head, woman! However, you may be relieved to know that I know this to be true from the comments on my previous blog].
The answer is yes, but not until Monday night!

Saturday morning, Allison came down from Parma to help me with the lock. However, we ladies -- intelligent and creative as we may be -- lacked the ability to get the door to open. And my key could not have chosen a worse time to break: not only was the entire family out of the house, but every shop in Italy was closed until Tuesday ... including the locksmith. (Excepting the bar, because the Italians have their priorities).

So Allison and I -- as intelligent and creative ladies -- decided that there was nothing to do but continue with our awesome plans. No point in crying over spilled wine (especially not when you can just suck it up from the floor). So we went to the ancient and beautiful city of Mantova ... and shopped. And shopped. And shopped. I bought a belt, scarf, and mascara. Allison bought some fashionable baseball caps. We both bought gelato. We didn't see much of the city.... Another weekend.

The next day was Easter and we celebrated it by avoiding Italian cuisine. That's right: for the two foreignors, there were roasted potatoes, buttered carrots, spinach and a huge roast beef. We ate this for lunch and dinner and it was fantastic. Allison, being Irish, also had a solid supply of Bailey's Irish Creme in her fridge, so we had Irish coffee throughout the day.

That night, we went out in search of an open dance club. We were unsuccessful. However we did wander into one of the city's two McDonalds. I love how people turn to stare when they hear Allison and me speaking English. Allison complains about how the Italians stare, I just enjoy it. Though it hurts me inside to go to a McDonalds during my time in Italy, I enjoyed the night. I had a strawberry milkshake (this seems to be a reoccuring theme in my European travels).

No comments:

Post a Comment