Monday, April 6, 2009

Earthquake

I didn't even know that Italy had earthquakes until last Friday when I saw the destruction a small one wreaked two months ago on the Sala Baganza castle (La Rocca). But late last night, a huge earthquake (terremoto) hit L'Aquila, a historic city four hours south of me. The event is dominating news outlets, especially, as one may imagine, in Italy. At this point, the death toll is at 100, as many as 50,000 are homeless, and I don't need to mention that it's horribly tragic.

Broadcast news in Italy is different from American news: the rules are more flexible when it comes to showing personal grief or injured individuals. I kind of wish I didn't understand what the agonized Italians were saying.

For those who might have been worried about me, know that I didn't even feel a tremor from the quake. Earthquakes are common in Italy, but not large ones. (Of course, I am not used to them, so I'm sure I'll write about every one I experience).

To those who I love and miss: I love and miss you!

And Happy Birthday little sis!!!! Did I mention that I can't believe that you're 19 years old?

No comments:

Post a Comment