Friday, July 24, 2009

I'm Regressing

All this time I spend around a almost-4-year-old is rubbing off on me. Yesterday, we watched Mighty Morphing Power Rangers and I am re-hooked the show of my youth. It's not that my current self has any interest in this badly acted, simplistically scripted, 90's kids tv show... it's that my love for this show was so deep and true as a child, that even though the show has no merit other than bright costumes and 90's-acceptable racism, the love is still there. Oh, it's still there. I watched a clip-montage of Kimberly (the Pink Power Ranger) and Tommy (the Green-then White-then Red Power Ranger) and sighed wistfully. What high-school love could be more true and awkwardly unfulfilled?

Also, I have a new fixation: not sucking at Checkers. There should be a warning on the box: "This game is wretched, do not play it at risk of it eating your soul. Pregnant or nursing women should consult a doctor before play," etc. I sat down to an outwardly innocent game of checkers with Dany the other day, only to have my pride shoved forcefully down my throat. Since then, I've dedicated myself to improving my game with few results and a lot of swearing. I've even consulted online tips, but all they suggest is "don't suck." Like I said, I'm working on it. When did this game get so hard? What happened to the days of blissful Cracker Barrell checkers, when the huge, plastic peices were harmlessly exchanged by the fire?

...It's a stupid game.

My American party is tomorrow. I spent 75 Euros at the supermarket today, which means that I spent 5 Euros per person. Laurel claims that she doesn't want to hear about my struggle with checkers or my unadultered love for kids shows, but rather romantic European adventure. Well, I think throwing an American party in Italy is rather romantic and adventurous. I mean, it's not easy finding raisins in an Italian supermarket. And, I have to brave the pandhandlers outside. And I have to put up with Italian clerks wanting to practice their English on me. Furthermore, I don't think I've ever actually made a hamburger. And the idea of whipping up a batch of three or four boxes of Mac'n'cheese in one go? This girl has got a backbone!

How I yearned to be Kimberly when I was a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment