Friday, February 27, 2009

Observations on the French

1.They do shave. I don’t know this first-hand, but Charlotte has been living among the French for almost a year and attests to their lack of leg and armpit hair. (This was a rather tragic discovery, seeing as I stopped shaving two months ago in preparation for my visit).

2.
When it comes to fashion, anything goes. Black with Brown? Sure, why not. I saw one lady decked out completely in black (if it were night, she would have appeared as a head floating around France), except for her big brown purse. Hey, no big deal. Crazy Darth Vader boots and a cape? Well, if she was going to go there, she might as well have gone all the way. Men in women’s clothes? That was so five years ago for the Americans.

I love the flexibility of French (European?) fashion; I threw on all kinds of outfit combinations with nary a
glance in the mirror. I think I wore Charlotte’s tablecloth at one point, and if memory serves, I got a compliment from the local barista.

3.
They drive small cars and they park wherever they can/want. This might also be a European thing – I wouldn’t know, I’ve only been to one country in Europe.


4.
They have windfarms, which are both majestic and terrifying. Yes, Charlotte, like dragons.


5.
They have moving walkways that descend. No, not down-escalators … down walkways. They’re awesome. Totally worth note.


6.
Cool signs I saw in France:


This was the bathroom sign in a French bar.






This is the French don't-walk sign.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, the French "Stay where you are!" sign. Even if it happens to be in the middle of the street...heck it's a parking spot for my feet!

    ReplyDelete